Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Show and Tell Tuesdays: Our Love Story

Today I'm linking up with Andrea from Momfessionals for Show and Tell Tuesdays. She hosts this link up with different prompts every other Tuesday throughout this year!

Today's prompt, Tell us about how you met your mate, got engaged, etc.
John and I don't really have a fun we met story. We met through a couple of friends at a game night they were hosting. He was really shy and didn't say much that evening and I rambled on and on like I usually do when I'm nervous or attempting to flirt (key word, attempting). I thought he was cute and nice but figured he wasn't interested so I was letting it go but figured it couldn't hurt to friend him on Facebook about a week later. Sure enough, he actually did think I was cute and we started chatting! About a week after that we had our first date and the rest is history!
What's kind of interesting about our relationship is that it's very surprising we hadn't met before that game night! In later discussions with each other we realized that we were standing around each other with some friends in a group talking on several different occasions as we camped out or waited in line for Texas Tech football games. I specifically remember a particular conversation in which I was talking to ??? (can't remember who) but overheard right next to me a conversation between some people I had met previously about why their friend was up there in a business suit. Well the random friend was interning with Texas Tech Athletics and was working that game, he'd just stopped by to say hi to his friends standing in line at the gate and this random guy in a suit is my husband today! We must have attended several baseball games and sat in the same row or right near each other, we slept just tents away from each other many a cold (stupid) night waiting to get in for a couple of big football games his Senior year at Tech. It's just crazy, but God clearly had a plan for us and meeting each other then just wasn't in it!

As for our Engagement, (the full long drawn out story can be found here) I was at school and John called me asking me to come take care of him because he was "sick", I ran to his house between classes but being an exhausted college student I fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up from my unplanned nap (and realized I'd missed my class!) I found a note from him but he was gone. 

The message started with a drawing of a ring and gave me clues about where and when I should be that evening. He ask me to meet him at "our park" at 11 that night (we both had to work, practicality has to come into play ya know). I was pretty sure what was going to happen, I really hoped that I wasn't wrong because I was going to look like a fool if I was! I got all dressed up in a floor length white formal dress that I had worn before our first kind of date when we hung out and watched Spiderman after I had attended a formal banquet earlier that evening. 

I met John on a bridge at the park (by the way, he dressed up too! He was spiffy in his suit!) we walked around the park while John told me all the things that made him sure I was the one he wants to spend the rest of his life with. As we rounded a corner coming back to the bridge we started at we saw some ducks at the edge of the water. We ran and chased the ducks, when I would do this on our usual walks to the park John would pretend to not know me.. but this time he followed and told me that what he loves most about me is that I'm myself with him. 

Just then, right after my duck chasing incident he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him as he slipped a ring on my finger. I of course, said "Yes!". I didn't cry (which surprised both of us), but I was very calm and quite certain of my decision to spend the rest of my life with this man! He stood up and gave me an engagement present! 

The ring he gave me as an engagement ring is the ring his father gave his mother (he also propsed on the same day his Dad proposed to his Mom). My engagement present was another ring! It is the ring his great-grandfather gave his great-grandmother as an engagement ring when they moved to America from Germany and Poland. 

We ended the night laying on a blanket in the park watching the stars!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments!! I am so glad you stopped by!
Please be sure your Blogger profile is linked to your e-mail. If not, leave your e-mail address in your comment so I can reply!!