Friday, November 8, 2013

Baby Girl - 2 Weeks Old!

Baby Girl turned two weeks old on Monday. This week John went back to work. It was emotionally hard to have him leave each morning but as far as taking care of Baby Girl, it wasn't too bad.

Last Sunday we took a short walk over to our church & took Baby Girl to Trunk or Treat. I really wanted to swing by and see my choir students since I hadn't been able to go to class the last three weeks (I had doctor appointments on Wednesdays and after Membrane Sweeps I was in enough false labor pain I couldn't make it to choir). We were there no more than 15 minutes, but it was nice to get out for a while (minus the fact that I walked too far and thought I was dying!)


Last Monday my Great Aunt & Uncle came over & helped me with everything. I got a much needed nap and they helped me get the house straigtened up from the crazy weekend. They headed back to Lubbock on Tuesday. Thursday (Halloween) we had to head back to the hospital for Baby Girls second PKU newborn screening and John's Mother came along to lend a hand. I was really nervous about Baby Girl and the heel stick but she did fantastic, she didn't even cry!!


Over the weekend we traveled to East Texas to visit my brother at College. The trip itself went great! Baby Girl traveled like a champ! The trip to Marshall was quite a bit longer than we anticipated thanks to Construction traffic, but even with that she slept most of the trip there. I also learned that my life will be much easier if I can successfully nurse in public. I just haven't quite figured it out.


We also learned just how difficult it can be to get out the door with a baby! I slept through an alarm for one of her feedings, she will sleep up to 5 hours during the night between feedings so she just slept on. I finally woke to her wanting food, over an hour past when we should have gotten up. In the process of feeding & changing her I ended up covered in milk and spit up and needed another shower (I had showered the night before in hopes that it would save time the next day) and Baby Girl peed all over our bed. By the time we made it out the door we were already running roughly two hours late.

Baby Girl is sleeping 4 and 5 hours at a time at night but wants to eat roughly every 3 during the day. Her awake periods are increasingly long & active. Her neck is so strong she can push up from being on her belly & turn her head left & right to see what's around her!

She is vocal about everything! Eating, sleeping, sucking on her passi... Breastfeeding is going great! I'm reducing how much I pump. I know I'll just have to start again soon to get ready for going back to work, but it's just too much for me to manage to pump right after I feed her. It always ends up being almost an hour later that I have time to come back and pump and by then it's so close to time to feed again... it's just not working.

Postpartum wise I'm doing well! Towards the end of the day, or if I'm on my feet too much I can really tell. One dose of Advil a day is all I need, but I still get really uncomfortable from time to time.

At some point each day I think about how old she is getting and how quickly time is passing and then connect the fact that I'm X days/weeks from having to go back to work and I just want to cry. I can't imagine leaving her but me not working isn't an option. However, me going back part time is so we're starting to really consider that for at least a while.

A look at our week from my phone -



1 comment:

  1. She is entirely too cute!! Congratulations again!! Isn’t Motherhood the most amazing thing in the world? It’s hard, no doubt, but worth every single minute of it. I am so happy you get to experience all of this! These pictures are adorable. I remember wanted to get out the first couple of weeks and then how exhausting it was! Oh goodness, those PKU tests are no fun. I cried and cried. Glad you guys are over that! And going back to work – I know firsthand how hard that is. You will be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments!! I am so glad you stopped by!
Please be sure your Blogger profile is linked to your e-mail. If not, leave your e-mail address in your comment so I can reply!!